About Hendrick's Appliance
Hendrick's Appliance History
In 1949, Mal Hendrick began an appliance repair business in Shelby. This business provided plenty of work, but little money. He soon hit upon the idea of coin laundry operations. In the 1950's, he opened Shelby's second coin laundry in the same building as his repair shop. Over a 12 year period, he either opened or purchased and sold many coin laundry operations. He owned eleven different places in 1965 alone.
Several members of the Hendrick family helped in the business, including his beloved wife, Wanda. The Hendrick sons, Mike and Byron came home from college on week-ends to assist and so did the younger son, Robin.
The influence and driving force was instilled in the sons and Byron and Robin began a part-time endeavor in 1977. They started an appliance business in a small block building on King's Road. They performed their own service calls because they liked working with people and enjoyed the challenge of selling something at a competitive price. In 2000 they hit upon the idea of selling scratch and dent appliances, which has become their trademark. As the business expanded, a showroom and warehouse were added. Then as their business continued to prosper, they decided to move to a new, modern facility on Dixon Blvd. in Shelby.
From there, their two sons, Eric Hendrick and Kelly Hendrick continue to grow the business by the opening of three stores in nearby areas. The vision that began about 60 years ago is still in progress with the 3rd generation of the Hendrick family. Good customer service and quality products at a competitive price await all who enter their doors.